Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Upholstered Headboard


Several months ago a coworker/friend and I decided we wanted to make upholstered headboards. We researched how to do it online including this great Tutorial. There are two ways to attach the headboard, directly to the wall or by making legs and attaching those to your bed frame. I choose to attach them the later way and found those instructions at another site (oops I didn't save it). After gathering all my materials and my handy dad I began following the instructions.

1. Cut plywood into desired shape and size
2. Cut legs to appropriate size
3. Attach legs to the back of plywood headboard
4. Lay out your batting and/or foam on top of headboard. I choose to double up on the batting as the foam was ridiculously expensive! 

 5.  Flip headboard over so the backside is facing you, make sure you keep the batting in place. 
6. Begin wrapping batting around back and staple in place. You want to make this fairly tight.

 7. Lay the fabric out as you did the batting and begin stapling down in the same manner. If your fabric has a pattern be careful to keep the pattern centered. Also be sure the fabric is very tight from all sides.

 8. Flip it over to see the final product.
9. Attach legs of headboard to bed frame and you have your very own upholstered headboard!

The beauty of the upholstered headboard is the fact that it can easily be changed by stapling new fabric over the existing headboard without having to redo anything! I hope this inspires everyone to create their own headboard! It probably took me three hours to construct this not including shopping!

5 comments:

  1. oh, that did turn out well. Of course, I want to make my life difficult and not do a square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I loved this post. It was practical.
    Keep on posting!

    My webpage single beds Pretoria

    ReplyDelete